Trinity Episcopal Church began as the Trinity Mission of St. Andrew's Episcopal
Church of Ft. Pierce. The first service was held October 24, 1926 at the Women’s
Club Building in downtown Vero Beach. Groundbreaking for the first permanent
building (the Eastern end of the present Chapel) was on March 20, 1927. The
first service in the new church was conducted on June 21, 1931. The building
accommodated all 125 parishioners with a piano for the music.
In the late 1980's, a committee headed by Mary Bennallack undertook
the assignment of documenting the history of our parish. The result of
their efforts was published in 1990.
This document remains an important archive of the proud history of our
parish, and you can view a copy by clicking here.
(Note: This is a large download. Be patient!)
Trinity's leadership roster
Trinity has been served by many distinguished and notable clergy including
George LaBarre, W. S. Root, Edward Gabler, W. Russell Daniel, George E. Talmadge,
J. M. Taylor, Fred A. Cook, David Lord, Lorne Coyle, Richard Lobs, John Jacobs,
and Chris Rodriguez.
Take a look at our current
campus map and see how Trinity Episcopal Church has grown.
In 1951, under the leadership of Fr. Edward Gabler, Trinity Mission was admitted to the Diocese of Central Florida as a self-supporting parish. In 1960, the
Parish Hall was enlarged and the corridor and north wing added. Groundbreaking
for an even larger, new church took place on March 19, 1978. That church edifice was
consecrated on May 20, 1979 by the Right Reverend William Folwell, Bishop of
Central Florida. The adjacent memorial garden was designed by Herschel Auxier.
Over the next several years, the parish grew to approximately 800 members.
Each year, when winter residents arrived, the church's facilities stretched
to accommodate our many seasonal worshippers. In 1991, Trinity set out to expand our church facilities and create room for
In the mid 1990s, Trinity launched a campaign called "Growth For Ministry," an effort
that began with the acquisition of adjacent properties and building a complex of
ministry buildings, including classrooms, offices, and community spaces. These
buildings were anchored by a large, multi-functional Parish Hall, which we
often refer to as the "Great Hall."
In the ensuing years, we continued crafting a modern worship campus. In 2005,
when Trinity finished the renovations and new construction, we found ourselves
with a larger church, new music facilities, new youth facilities, and an
enlarged memorial garden complete with a columbarium. Of our earlier buildings,
only the Historic Chapel remains on our worship campus today.
In 2007-2008, the Trinity family faced a challenge when a group of Members, led
by the then-Rector, proposed to withdraw from the Episcopal Church and convert
Trinity into an unaffiliated Anglican parish. Much deliberation and discussion
ensued. By July, 2008, the Members who
preferred to retain the Episcopal affiliation prevailed. Trinity Episcopal
Church would remain a part of America's Episcopal family.
Regrettably, by that time, many of our dearest friends had already committed to
join the new, non-Episcopal church.
In the aftermath of this discord, we saw many positions of responsibility within
our church suddenly vacated. New leadership was needed.
Proudly, our Members stepped forward; providing the talent, energy, and
resources to sustain our congregation through those challenging times; enabling us to
a vibrant, Christ-centered church that explores new and innovative ways to
minister to our people, our neighbors, our nation, and our world.